Tuesday, May 17, 2011

oh college

A day in the life of a college student.  Man I love college, I really do.  Its one of the only times in life where you are constantly surrounded by thousands of people your age range who are all doing pretty much the same thing as you.  Obviously there are tons of little niches and cliques and such in college: the bros, the althletes, the frat daddys, the sorority girls, the theatre kids, and so on. But after four years in college, and especially as a sociology major, its crazy to see how truly cohesive the college culture is, particularly at a school like Delaware.   When I was a freshman I didn't really see it.  Actually, I saw it, but I didn't recognize it for what it was, which is almost complete conformity.  Almost to the point of uniformity.  I mean I remember walking around campus during the fall of my freshman year and seeing almost every single girl wearing a black northface and uggs, including myself.  But aside from the attire, nearly everyone is doing exactly the same thing, binge drinking.  I mean people around here will jump at ANY excuse to drink, whether it be as simple an excuse as a ray of sunshine in the sky (yes, any sunny day is a valid excuse to drink yourself silly on the porches of the main street restaurants),  to somethings as globally significant as the fall of a dark and ominous political figure.  You know who I'm talking about.  Thats right,  I'm talking about when Obama got Osama.  I would never have anticipated that commotion and flat out rioting that went on here on UD's campus on that Sunday night, after the President delivered his speech.  I was even more astounded when I saw videos of exactly the same thing going on on college campuses all over the nation.  Which brings me back to my point.  It's a college culture, and its awesome.  Don't get me wrong,  its ridiculous, and extremely irresponsible.  But I guess thats part of the intrigue.  I must admit, I happily partake in the college shananigans, and am often guilty of being the instigator. These last few weeks leave me torn, though.  I'm clinging to the last as of this carefree life, free of responsibility, judgement, and ridicule.  At the same time, though, I think I'm ready to move on.  I've had my regrettable moments.  Those morning-afters when that horrible pit in your stomach is from more than just 10 vodka clubs from the previous night.  If you're in college chances are you know what I'm talking about.  When you wake up, and your first thought is either "where the hell am I?" or "what the hell happened last night?" or both.  Not that you necessarily did anything bad, but its just the anxiety of not remembering.  Its the black out epidemic that is sweeping across college campuses nation wide.  Newly admitted college students, brace yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Once you leave you'll want to go back!! like meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete